Sunday, June 01, 2008

Just a few things

First, if you stuck around for the second game Saturday and saw the heated exchange between Bien Figueroa and the home plate umpire, I'll let you know what that was about.

Figueroa said that the umpires knew when they lifted the tarp from the first delay that there was more rain 10 minutes away. He was upset that the tarp wasn't kept on until that patch of rain passed. As a result of the stop and start, Dave McKae couldn't come back out.

Second, I want to not that despite his struggles in the opener, I tip my cap to Simon Klink for willingly and openly talking about his base running errors. Its guys like Klink who don't hide that make me appreciate how much skill baseball requires. He's also a funny dude.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone who e-mailed me about my column earlier in the week. What I think some people read into my words were to not support the Defenders. That's not it. I hope every game is a sellout. These guys do play hard. Yes, there are some who complain, which we all do. But because they are public figures in our community they are scrutinized more. That's OK. But don't let any dislike for how the Giants have handled their relationship here keep you from supporting this team.

No comments: