Wednesday, May 21, 2008

This is nonsense

How can the Connecticut Defenders expect fans to want to come out to the ball game when they don't play "Take me out to the ball game" during the seventh inning stretch?

In all of my years of watching, listening and attending baseball games, this is the first time I have ever been at a game where the staple sing of ballparks across this country wasn't played. Why? To advertise future promotions. Guess what? You have 30 people here for Wednesday's game. Instead of trying the hard sell, how about trying to make the experience as enjoyable as possible.

I'll tell you what? The next time you go to the dentist, make sure your local DDS promotes his great root canal services during a cleaning.

Not playing "Take me out to the Ball game" is not avant garde. It's not even funny or someting no one will miss. It's as baseball as Cracker Jack, the pop of the ball hitting a glove and the crack of a bat.

Now, I fully expect that tomorrow's 10:30 a.m. game will be filled with kids and thus the song will be played. Let's just hope tonight is the last time we don't hear the song during the seventh inning stretch at Dodd Stadium.

No comments: